Robustness evaluation in virtual product development
Manufacturing tolerances, material scatter, random load or other stochastic effects cause scattering properties of components or structures that are usually of spatial distribution. To ensure your product quality, to avoid recalls or to fulfill safety requirements, you can consider these random effects by using appropriate statistical models and methods already in the design phase.
SoS supports your design process by identifying random fields and the visualization of scatter shapes. Thus, you can locate areas with a high probability of failure or variation („hot spots“) and identify the causes of the scatter.
Visualization of statistical quantities on FEM meshes may simplify the evaluation of robustness significantly. Visualization helps in particular if the critical regions are a priori not known or if their positions vary randomly (e.g. in crash simulation, metal forming simulation, etc.). Further, visualization helps to increase the acceptance of statistical results in CAE and production departments.
Statistics on Structures supports a robustness analysis in these ways:
- Analyze random properties of structures
- Identify consequences of manufacturing tolerances and random loads
- Inspect statistics directly on the structure
- Easily detect hot spots and potential failure locations
- Improve robustness and product quality
- Understand the cause of scatter
- Decompose response scatter using random field parametric
- Generate random designs by using the random field parametric
- Eliminate random noise in consecutive analysis