Ansys 2021 R1 Release Highlights
Ansys 2021 R1 delivers significant improvements in simulation technology together with nearly unlimited computing power to help engineers across all industries reimagine product design and achieve product development goals that were previously thought impossible.
From small to mid-sized companies to global organizations, companies of every size seek new ways for pioneering breakthrough innovations that are safer and more reliable to win the race to market.
Ansys 2021 R1 helps engineering teams improve their decision-making earlier in the design process, enabling them to rapidly develop new products by avoiding costly mistakes that can negatively impact product quality and reliability. Leveraging improved workflows and leading-edge capabilities that span Ansys’ flagship suites, teams are tackling design challenges head on, eliminating the need to make costly workflow tradeoffs, developing next-generation innovations with increased speed, significantly enhancing productivity and delivering high-quality products to market faster than ever.
3D Design: Rapid Design Exploration for the Next Generation of Product Design
This release delivers new multiphysics capabilities, user experience innovations and other features to increase instant physics accuracy, improve engineering productivity and enhance collaboration.
- Ansys Discovery now includes automated fluid-solid thermal analysis to easily predict fluid and solid thermal behaviors for the design and evaluation of electronics cooling and heat management devices.
- New quick scoping, interactive tutorials, improved units control, saved result settings and other workflow features make it possible to setup and run a simulation faster and easier than ever before with Discovery.
- Pick up right where you left off and simulate more complex physical behaviors with direct transfer to Ansys Mechanical and Ansys Fluent from Discovery.
- Ansys SpaceClaim now extracts midsurfaces of stamped parts with up to 5X greater speed and includes the option to extract the top or bottom surface from a solid part when creating connections within a sheet metal assembly.
Ansys 2021 R1 delivers enhancements across all portfolio products — Ansys Additive Prep, Ansys Additive Print, Ansys Additive Science and Ansys Workbench Additive — empowering users to further advance their additive manufacturing capabilities.
- Full release of 2D microstructure (Additive Science)
- Full release of stainless steel 316L material for thermal solver (Additive Print and Additive Science)
- Automated calibration set up in Additive Wizard (Workbench Additive)
- Support part connectivity improvement (Workbench Additive)
Creation of EOS and Renishaw build files (Additive Prep)
- Improved orientation optimization and new analysis types (Additive Prep)
Ansys 2021 R1 delivers groundbreaking enhancements in the electronics suite:
- Ansys HFSS Mesh Fusion enables simulation of large, never before possible electromagnetic systems with efficiency and scalability.
- Encrypted 3D components supported in HFSS 3D Layout for PCBs, IC packages and IC designs enable suppliers to share detailed 3D component designs for creating highly accurate simulations.
- Ansys Maxwell leverages cyclic repeatability by slice-only solving within cyclically repeated non-planar radial boundary conditions, including auto-extraction of full-model outputs.
- Ability to output transient electromagnetic forces from Maxwell into Ansys Motion. This extends EM interaction to rigid body dynamics and enhances the overall noise-vibration solution.
- Ansys EMA3D Cable generates S-parameter models of cables with all electromagnetic effects. Bringing in cable harness definition enables mesh and real-world simulations within a full vehicle structure.
- Ansys Mechanical Thermal solver is now available inside AEDT for a streamlined workflow, linking EM designs from HFSS, Maxwell and Ansys Q3D for quick thermal insight.
- Ansys SIwave’s new wizard provides an automated workflow to improve setup time required for PCB designs with DDR.
In Ansys 2021 R1, Ansys embedded software solutions enable even more development optimization, increase communication among team members and reduce embedded software project certification costs.
- The ability to generate embedded software targeting the FACE 3.0 Technical Standard, reducing overall cost of military avionics
- Improved modeling and code generation flexibility for AUTOSAR software components, with the support of implicit and explicit communications
- Closed-loop driving simulation of ADAS embedded software (MiL / SiL / HiL) with Ansys SCADE + Ansys VRXPERIENCE Driving Simulator connector
- Increased efficiency during incremental control software architecture, design and reviews
Design products faster than ever with major physics and productivity enhancements:
- A ‘Pro’ version of Ansys Fluent tailors the user-friendly interface to less complex CFD simulations and is offered at an attractive price point.
- A streamlined overset meshing workflow for complex assemblies or models with moving parts reduces pre-processing time by orders of magnitude; 30% solver performance gains can be realized.
- Solve high Mach number flows with strong shocks more easily. New proprietary high-speed numerics and thermal non-equilibrium model deliver improved convergence and accuracy.
- Enhance physical complexity with advancements in the areas of GTC-liner effusion cooling, particles-VOF-film interactions, and high-resolution particle tracking.
- Acoustics advancements enable simulations of absorbing walls, noise source localization, long audible signals, psychoacoustics and advanced analysis in Ansys VRXPERIENCE.
- Rapidly evaluate valve motion without creating a mesh using Ansys Forte’s built-in fluid-structure interaction model.
Ansys 2021 R1 delivers new tools, user enhancements and data updates for Ansys Granta — all to empower users to leverage their materials intelligence.
Achieve digital transformation through enhanced materials management. Enable electrification through smarter materials choices. Ensure accuracy with the latest materials data.
New for Ansys 2021 R1:
- New Battery Designer tool for Granta Selector and EduPack.
- A more intuitive and integrated user experience for Granta MI.
- Easier access for engineers to approved materials with company-wide, project and personal materials lists.
- New or updated materials data for every Granta product.
Ansys SPEOS accelerates innovation with improved workflows, innovative features and new capabilities.
- Increase the reliability of your ADAS and AV simulations by taking optical sensors to a new level of realism with scanning and rotating lidar models. Maximize lidar detection capabilities with smarter algorithms based on raw time-of-flight signal analysis.
- Accelerate optical simulations and get results up to 60X faster by connecting with Ansys Cloud. Access SPEOS from the Cloud Desktop and combine your optical simulations with other solutions such as Ansys Mechanical, Ansys Fluent and Ansys optiSLang for streamlined, comprehensive simulation results.
- Increase productivity with new automation capabilities, providing complete access to all SPEOS parameters. Automate repetitive tasks and perform advanced analysis intuitively. Benefit from recording functions and autocompletion capabilities, making scripting easy even for non-experts.
Ansys continues to push the innovation envelope for its Ansys Lumerical photonics products, delivering powerful new capabilities for improved accuracy, performance and usability.
- Lumerical INTERCONNECT’s Traveling Waveguide Laser Model (TWLM) solver now includes self-heating modeling for improved accuracy for laser simulation.
- Custom component design flows now include support for foundry process files, allowing customers to simulate and manufacture custom designs with confidence.
- New automated workflows simplify data collection for compact model generation with Lumerical CML Compiler.
- Support has been added for concurrent simulations of parametric variations. When using Ansys Enterprise licensing, HPC licenses can be used to conduct concurrent simulations of parametric variations rather than using multiple solver licenses.
- Enhanced PDK-driven workflows offer support for spatial correlation in statistical analysis in Lumerical INTERCONNECT and Lumerical CML Compiler, improving time to market and reducing manufacturing risk.
- All Lumerical products are now compatible with Ansys License Manager, providing new and renewing customers with the convenience of a single licensing solution for all Ansys products.
Ansys 2021 R1 platform solutions enhance simulation process and data management (SPDM), process integration and design optimization (PIDO) and cloud offerings.
- Ansys Minerva boosts engineering productivity with major UI enhancements and improvements across all capabilities including improved data management with data comparison, metadata extraction with automatic file conversion, LS-DYNA job submission and direct integration with
- Ansys optiSLang web apps.
Ansys optiSLang increases customer efficiency and ROI in parametric design studies through improved process integration, metamodeling using AI and evolutionary optimization and reliability analysis technology. Web app connection with Minerva enables enterprise-wide application of PIDO simulation workflows.
- Ansys Cloud provides access to on-demand, cloud-based computing resources, including both interactive workstations and HPC clusters, delivering faster, high-fidelity results with greater performance insight.
Ansys Semiconductor products lead the industry in power integrity, signal integrity, reliability and thermal signoff for all advanced process nodes down to 5nm and for advanced 3D multi-die system integrations.
- General availability of Ansys RedHawk-SC Electrothermal for comprehensive thermal, electrical and mechanical analysis of 2.5D/3D IC packages.
- New RedHawk-SC flow for finding and analyzing the activity vectors that give rise to the worst-case timing impact of dynamic IR drop.
- Advanced Power Diagnostics in RedHawk-SC for thorough debugging of dynamic voltage drop (DVD) issues in even the largest chip designs.
- Introducing Ansys Totem-SC, Ansys PathFinder-SC and Ansys PowerArtist-SC: These upgraded products are all based on the SeaScape technology and infrastructure that brings big-data elastic compute and native cloud enablement to these workflows.
Ansys Mechanical delivers features to enable faster simulations, easier workflows, journaling, scripting and product integrations that offer more solver capabilities.
- Mechanical fills the gap between injection molding and structural simulation for short fiber reinforced composites, commonly used in automotive components and consumer goods. This new workflow enables easier and faster simulations of injection molded reinforced plastics.
- Automatically create thousands of possible designs and ensure they’ll perform in the real world. Explore the wide variety of design possibilities, choose your favorite and then, bring it back to your CAD environment.
- Ansys LS-DYNA adds solver capabilities to Mechanical’s interface. This helps perform ECAD trace mapping for enhanced analysis of printed circuit boards in electronics reliability workflows.
Ansys VRXPERIENCE improvements:
- Test drive millions of virtual miles quickly in Microsoft Azure through Ansys Cloud.
- The new VRXPERIENCE Sensor GPU Radar brings Ansys HFSS SBR+ high-end simulation to real-time closed-loop simulation.
- VRXPERIENCE Sound introduces ASDforEV to play & tune in-vehicle electronic sounds for quiet vehicles. 2021 R1 connects VRXPERIENCE Sound with Ansys Fluent to optimize aeroacoustics simulations.
Ansys Twin Builder upgrades:
- Export a digital twin for sample deployment and use digital twin definition language for Azure digital twin deployment.
- Simplify and speed the build and validation of electrification solutions with a motor equivalent circuit toolkit, an EV powertrain library and Battery Wizard advances.
Ansys medini analyze enhancements:
- Determine critical paths that lead to system failure with the new FTA Heatmap. Analysts can visualize and trace single and multipoint faults throughout design models.
- Combine safety and cybersecurity analysis in one project to connect cyber threats to potential safety hazards.
Multiphysics with System Coupling
Ansys 2021 R1 brings exciting new advancements for electro-thermal analyses, fluid-structure interaction studies and other multiphysics simulations performed using System Coupling. These extensions add to our growing multiphysics coupling capabilities.
- Time-dependent excitation and motion
- Usability improvements for complex cases
- Expressions for more flexibility in defining data transfers
- Performance improvements including 2.0x average performance speedup for core System Coupling
- Accuracy improvements including up to 20X better accuracy for surface mapping with quadratic shape functions